Today’s episode, is about Changing Careers the SMART Way. We are talking with someone who did just that. Holding nothing back, our guest shares his struggles, successes and techniques. If you are in the middle of a career change or even thinking about one, you will want to take notes for sure.
Robert shares his secret sauce for making a career change. He understood that 80% of all positions are filled without ever being advertised or posted on job boards. Robert is progressing in an amazing career that he loves and every one of his positions have come as a result of SMART networking.read more
Knowing what to wear to an interview can really improve your chances of getting that new job. But if you make some common mistakes, you could be out of consideration before you answer the very first question. Your personal appearance doesn’t necessarily reflect who you are on the inside or guarantee you will get hired. However, being well groomed can keep the employer from being distracted by an unacceptable appearance and help them focus on the value you bring to their organization. That’s what really counts!
Let’s face it, we don’t interview every day. It’s difficult enough to prepare the right answers and now you have to worry about how to dress. We don’t even know the employer’s expectations. So let’s take the edge off and explore reasonable ways to present a professional image.read more
It is time to speak about a few daily rituals that will enhance your search and are often overlooked. But trust me, they make all the difference in the world.
1. Plan the night before
2. Get to bed at a reasonable time
3. Wake up early
4. Reserve the first hour of the day for you … no technology, no telephone calls, no social media, NO EMAIL! Spend this time praying, meditating, taking a walk, exercising, or appreciating nature. This time is just for you … do something that nourishes your soul.
Organizing your job search step by step by step is a must. Looking for a new job can be so overwhelming that it helps to know what to do every step of the way. As with any project, a plan is needed to move from concept to completion. No matter how large or small, each step can be mapped out in its proper order, so when the time comes to begin assembling all the pieces, they fit together seamlessly.read more
Learn about the common mistakes and misconceptions about properly interacting with recruiters. Find out what they can and cannot do to assist you in your efforts to take a step up in your career. We heard from a veteran recruiter about the best way to interact with recruiters. They are a valuable resource from a long term perspective when you are contacting them. However, when they contact you, take the call. You never know when something wonderful is about to happen.read more
In order to have an effective Job Search, it is imperative that anger, bitterness, resentments and such get resolved. Be honest with yourself about your wounds. These can negatively impact the way others view you. Acknowledge the impact they have had on you. Realize that you have the ability to choose how to interpret the situation. Do everything that you can to move on and allow others to do the same.read more
The typical way most job seekers submit resumes for consideration don’t work. In this episode we discuss why you should consider another way that will get you much better results. In fact, by using this method, your resume is more likely to reach the person that makes the hiring decision instead of getting stuck in Human Resources.read more
There’s a big difference between Duties and Accomplishments.
– Are all the routine things you do in the performance of your job.
– Are done as a part of the minimum expectation in the performance of your job.
– Are those achievements beyond the daily routine.
– They bring added value and benefit to your employer.
006: Five Reasons Your Resume Is Rejected And How To Turn It Into Your Own Personal Marketing Machine
In order for your resume to get you the attention you deserve,
1. Format your resume properly keeping ease of reading / scanning in mind.
2. A resume is a marketing brochure, not an auto biography.
3. Use a Professional Overview in the place of an Objective.
4. Focus on Accomplishments rather than putting so much emphasis on duties.
5. Use Keywords that match the position and culture of the company.
The “hidden job market” refers to job openings that are not posted online or advertised.
– Positions are posted internally with hopes that employees will refer candidates.
– Human resources receives too many applications.
– Human resources is focusing on priority openings.
– Sensitive high-level position.
– Replacing someone with a critical function that the company cannot afford to be without.
– Extremely low supply of highly specialized skills. These openings are typically given to recruiters.
Why Looking for a Work on a Job Board Is So Frustrating
– Job Boards sell Advertising – NOT Jobs
– Candidate clicks convince Employers to Buy Advertising
– CareerBuilder® reports that around 50% of all candidates applying through job postings online never hear back from the employer most likely due to applicant tracking systems screening them out.
Some of the most common ways we are taught to look for a job yield the worst results. There are reasons for this and we will discuss why that is. On this episode of The Job Search That Works Podcast, we will be talking about
The Best and the Worst Ways to Find a Job
Out of all the ways to look for a job, the least productive are blanket mailing out resumes, responding to ads in professional or trade journals and responding to ads on Internet Job Sites.
The most productive ways to find a job are calling companies in the yellow pages, partnering with other job hunters, and the most effective at 86% … well, you will have to tune in to find out.read more
There are 10 critical mistakes that job seekers make that can wreck their chances of getting the job they really want. This episode talks about them and offers suggestions on how to correct these mistakes and get your job search back on track.read more
A job search is intimidating. Acknowledgement of that fact is critical. A healthy attitude sets the tone while trying to accomplish such a difficult task. Take action! Being idle during a period of unemployment is a recipe for disaster. Make a plan and work your plan.read more